Sunday, November 4, 2007

Mexico!

I had the wonderful opportunity to go to TJ yesterday with Flood Church. It was so wonderful to get to see the culture, and to walk to Mexico! We parked on the America side of the border and walked across to the Orphanage. It was so different once we crossed the border. It is horribly sad the need that so many people have.


At the orphanage we played with the kids, did face paint and some arts and crafts and cooked them lunch/dinner (they only eat twice a day...so it was somewhere between the two) I read many Spanish books to a little girl, although I don't know Spanish, so I don't really know what I was reading, or if I was saying it even remotely right. She seemed to not care. That is her in the picture, the kids love having their pictures taken, because they get to see them on the screen!


The orphanage was a very nice orphanage. The one that the church goes to usually is in much worse shape apparently, I hope to go to that one next month. Going to Mexico makes me want to learn Spanish even more!


We ate in a taco shop on the way back, it was good! While we were eating 4 little kids walked up to our table and asked for money at different times. It is so sad and hard, because how do you give money to everyone? There were so many people asking for money or selling Chiclets or some other small candy...also, you don't even know that the money goes for food or something for the kids...So I offered one a taco. He said no.


It was wonderful to have the opportunity to go, we are so close to Mexico! I got to meet a lot of cool people my age from the church, and that was so fun! To see pictures, go to http://hope.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2029601&l=ca6f5&id=11402844


Other news...Nate got up on his board in Del Mar on Friday and has gone a few more times since then with a few different people he has met. He is really enjoying surfing!


We had a great Halloween party for the kids at school on Friday...we postponed it because of the fire. We had a costume fashion show and contest, lots of food and dodge ball. The kids play Dodge ball every Friday...I love Fridays! They are so much fun. This is a picture of the staff I work with on the right, and kids on the left :)


Today we are just relaxing...maybe watching Transformers...going to church tonight and hopefully going to American Gangster with Mike and Joni tonight!

Have a good rest of your weekend!

1 comment:

Wally Harrison said...

Serving is where it's at, way to go guys!